Disrepair Claims

Don’t Suffer in Silence – Know Your Rights as a Council Tenant and How to Make a Disrepair Claim

council tenant

Council Tenants - Don’t Suffer in Silence - Know Your Rights as a Council Tenant and How to Make a Disrepair Claim

Council and Housing Association Tenants


As a council tenant, you have certain rights that protect you from harm and ensure that your living conditions are safe and healthy. 

Unfortunately, it’s not uncommon for council properties to suffer from disrepair, which can lead to a whole host of problems for tenants. 

If you’re currently dealing with a maintenance issue in your council property and you’re not sure what to do, this blog post is for you. 

We’ll be discussing your rights as a council tenant and how you can make a disrepair claim if necessary.

Reporting Issues


First and foremost, it’s important to remember that your landlord (whether they’re the council or a housing association) has a legal obligation to ensure that your property is in a habitable condition. 

This means that your home must be free from hazards that could harm your health and safety. 

These hazards can include things like damp, mould, pest infestations, and faulty wiring or plumbing. 

If you notice any of these issues in your council home, it’s important to report them to your landlord immediately.

Legal Obligation


When you report a disrepair issue to your landlord, they have a legal obligation to respond and take action to resolve the problem. 

This is known as the “repairing obligation” and it requires landlords to fix any issues that fall under their responsibility. 

If your landlord fails to respond to your repair request or fails to address the issue within a reasonable timeframe, you may have grounds to make a disrepair claim. 

This can help you get the issue resolved and even obtain compensation for any damages or losses that you’ve suffered as a result of the disrepair.

Making a Disrepair Claim


To make a disrepair claim, you’ll need to follow a few key steps. First, you should document the issue by taking photos and keeping a record of any correspondence between you and your landlord regarding the disrepair. 

Next, you should notify your landlord in writing that you intend to make a disrepair claim if the issue is not resolved. 

From there, you can seek legal advice from a solicitor who specialises in housing law and who can help you navigate the process of making a claim.

It’s important to note that making a disrepair claim can be a complex process, and it’s not always necessary or advisable to take legal action. 

Before making a claim, you should weigh up the potential benefits and risks, and consider whether there are other ways to resolve the issue. 

For example, you could speak to your local council’s housing department, who may be able to help you get the repairs done or mediate between you and your landlord.

Know your Legal Rights


Living in a council property can be a great way to secure affordable housing, but it’s important to know your rights and responsibilities as a tenant. 

If you’re dealing with a disrepair issue, don’t suffer in silence – report the issue to your landlord and explore your options for getting it resolved. 

Whether you choose to make a disrepair claim or seek other forms of assistance, remember that you have the right to safe and habitable living conditions, and your landlord has a legal obligation to ensure that your property meets those standards.

We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. By clicking “Accept”, you consent to the use of all the cookies.